Makaton with Singing (half-day workshop) - Tues 21 March 2023
Tuesday, March 21, 2023 - 9:30am to 1:00pm
Book via Booking Form
About this event
This workshop is a half-day course 9.30am - 1.00pm, registration from 9.00am (refreshments are provided throughout the morning but no lunch). Learning Makaton in a face-to-face workshop is particularly ideal as it is practical and 'hands on'.
Using Makaton with Singing is a fun and easy way to learn to use signs with singing for young children. Signing and singing have been shown to encourage the development of communication and language skills and are beneficial for vocalisation, confidence, social skills, emotional development, well-being and self-esteem.
Designed for those have no prior knowledge of Makaton, Using Makaton with Singing is provided as a half-day workshop for Early Years practitioners, parents, teachers, classroom assistants, and community musicians working with young children. You will learn up to 100 signs and have fun practising them in songs adapted for different levels of ability.
The 3 hour workshop is divided into four lively practical sessions covering:
- What is Makaton,
- Tips for Signing,
- Developing skills through signing and singing,
- Using Makaton in my setting.
- Learning outcomes
On completion of this workshop you should:
- have a basic understanding of Makaton
- understand how Makaton can be used with singing
- understand how to facilitate choices using symbols and signs
- understand that songs can be adapted to suit the differing abilities of individuals or small groups
- be informed about other Makaton workshops and courses, access to signs, symbols and resources
- be informed about additional resources that can support session content
The manual is included in the cost of the workshop.
Trainer(s): Stella Rogers
The workshop is delivered by Stella Rogers, a Qualified Makaton Tutor with over 10 years of experience working with children and adults with communication needs. She has worked in schools, colleges & nursery settings as well as community groups and projects in the London area. Stella offers Level 1 and Level 2 Makaton training for individuals, families, educators, health & social care professionals and anyone else who wishes to learn!