go to top

The Dangers of Button Batteries

Help keep your children safe from button batteries. This Christmas, homes will be filled with light-up decorations, festive tea lights, singing Santas and flashing Christmas wands. But these – and many cheap toys – are powered by button batteries that can badly hurt or kill a child if swallowed. Worryingly, far too many parents simply don’t know – either about the dangers or the wide range of products now powered by button batteries. Did you know that if your child swallows a button battery, it can get stuck in their food pipe. It can then burn through to the main artery and badly harm or even kill them. This can happen very quickly. Crawling babies up to pre-schoolers are at most risk.

Click here for helpful information from the Child Accident Prevention Trust to avoid these dangers. 

CAPT - Child Accident Prevention Trust